MoneyWeek

MoneyWeek Wine Club – April 2022

MoneyWeek Wine Club introduces a delicious Easter selection from Robert Rolls (t) 020 3215 0011 (w) www.robertrolls.co.uk  www.moneyweekwineclub.com A mixed case of 12 bottles (2 of each of the wines) is a keenly-priced £219.00, saving £17.50 per case). Robert Rolls and Jack Chaddock run a tight ship, and they play to their strengths in the classic…

2020 Canava Chrissou, Tselepos, Santorini, Greece

I remember sending Merryn Somerset Webb, our beloved Editor in Chief, an email a decade ago asking if she might like an occasional restaurant review column alongside my wine ramblings.  After all, I eat out a lot in the course of my wine job.  She said no.  So, ten years later, I am rebelling under the guise of a wine review.  I arrived at Le Comptoir…

2018 Proprietà Sperino, Uvaggio, Coste della Sesia Rosso, Piemonte, Italy

I have featured many rare wines on this page over the years, but this fellow and its stablemates must be the most unusual and difficult to track down.  While Theatre of Wine stocks my featured 2018 vintage, Lockett Bros is still showing the 2016 online, but I am assured they have some 2018 in their cellar.  Made by Chianti legend Paolo di Marchi’s…

2021 Thistledown, Gorgeous Old Vine Shiraz, Small Batch, Riverland, Australia

The Shiraz or Syrah grape variety is equally at home flying solo or being used as a component in a blend.  In this instance, it dominates the partnership in this thrilling wine by taking up 86% of this bottle, and the remaining proportion is a rather unlikely 14% Zibibbo, or Muscat.  I have never tasted a Shiraz/Zibibbo blend before, and it occurs…

2018 Iona, Solace Syrah, Elgin, South Africa

I first visited Andrew and Rozy Gunn, the custodians of Iona, some two decades ago.  A relatively new property back then, Andrew explained that they were planting some of the coolest sites in the Cape, high up (420m) in Elgin, on soils more used to supporting apple orchards than vines.  I bought buckets of their Sauvignon Blancs back in the old days,…

NV Exton Park, Reserve Blend RB32 Brut, Hampshire, England

I am continuing my occasional spotlight on indie wine merchants with a glowing review of Swains.  Situated in Parliament Hill (London, NW5) and thriving under the slogan, ‘Proper Wine Proper Food’, this new epicurean haunt was set up at the end of last year by my old pal Victoria Sharples and my new pal Ruth Morrell.  Ruth comes from a famous…

MoneyWeek Wine Club – March 2022

  MoneyWeek Wine Club introduces Six Stunning Spring Wines from Yapp (t) 01747 860423 (w) www.yapp.co.uk A mixed case of 12 bottles (2 of each of the wines) is £211.40 (saving £12.00)  This is a fabulously indulgent sextet of wines from the team at Yapp Brothers, and while we started the year with a couple of superbly priced collections, I…

2019 Bila-Haut, M. Chapoutier, Côtes du Roussillon Villages, France

I love high quality, independent wine retailers, which is not surprising because this metier is in my blood. I started working in the wine business in 1987 in a brilliant indie in South West London, and I was fortunate to learn from one of the finest palates in the country. The independent wine merchant, the butcher, baker, cheesemonger and other genuinely…

2020 Tapanappa, Piccadilly Valley Chardonnay, Adelaide Hills, South Australia

I have a trio of tremendous whites from Tapanappa for you this week, and they are all new vintage releases, so stockists are currently a little few and far between.  In reverse order, starting with the grandest of the three, 2019 Tapanappa Tiers Vineyard Chardonnay (£32.00, in bond per bottle, Cellar Circle Exclusive, www.laywheeler.com; £40.00,…

2020 Crozes-Hermitage Rouge, Maison Les Alexandrins, Northern Rhône, France – NEWSFLASH

Before you read about this wonderful wine below, I think it is important to let you know that the retailer mentioned has moved the price up to £29.70 from the quoted £25.99, in the last week or so, without informing me or indeed the UK distributor.  In addition, this wine doesn't now appear on their website - so I phoned to find out why.  Apparently,…

MoneyWeek Wine Club – February 2022

MoneyWeek Wine Club introduces Six Tremendous Wines from Jeroboams www.jeroboams.co.uk A mixed case of 12 bottles (2 of each of the wines) is a bargain-priced £163.19 (saving a massive £23.31) I am thrilled to welcome a new merchant into our MoneyWeek Wine Club fold.  Jeroboams is one of London’s elite wine merchants.  I have known wine…

2017 Quinta da Leda, Casa Ferreirinha, Douro, Portugal

I enjoyed an epiphanic tasting the other day at the brilliant Corrigan’s Mayfair.  I mention the restaurant because while I am already a massive fan of Richard Corrigan’s cooking, the food was on another level altogether, and it formed a perfect backdrop for a simply spectacular line-up of Casa Ferreirinha wines.  I am a fan of the everyday brands…